Sunday 29 July 2007

THE MYSTERY SOLVED?

RUUD, AS YOU CAN SEE FROM MY PREVIOUS POST, WE HAD A PROBLEM ON SATURDAY, TRYING TO GET JACOB TO PRODUCE A SOUND.
GOING BACK TO WHEN JACOB TRIED MY INSTRUMENT HE HAD NO PROBLEM MAKING SOUNDS, BUT WE WERE USING A YAMAHA MU80 SOUND MODULE. BEFORE I LEFT FOR JACOB'S PLACE ON SATURDAY, I TESTED THE NEW WX5, AND IT WORKED PERFECTLY.
THIS WAS WITH THE ROLAND SOUND CANVAS. I TOOK THESE ALONG TO JACOB'S, ONCE AGAIN THEY WORKED FOR ME, BUT NOT FOR JACOB. VERY STRANGE!
I ADJUSTED THE WIND GAIN AND ZERO TO THE MOST SENSITIVE BUT IT DIDN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE. I TOOK THE INSTRUMENTS BACK HOME WITH ME, TO COMPARE WITH MY WX5 AND I CAN'T DETECT ANY DIFFERENCE. I THOUGHT THEN, THAT MAYBE THE ROLAND MODULE IS NOT SENSITIVE ENOUGH? COULD THIS BE POSSIBLE? I HAVE RESET IT TO IT'S FACTORY DEFAULT SETTINGS, AND I CONNECTED A MIDI KEYBOARD
AND ADJUSTED THE VELOCITY. WILL THIS HELP? I SHOWED JACOB A HOW TO TONGUE HIS NOTES, HAVE YOU HAD A PROBLEM LIKE THIS WITH OTHER KIDS?
JACOB HAS PLENTY OF BREATH. PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR IDEAS.

2 comments:

Ruud said...

Hello Dave ,
I always use the VL70 but I have other equipment to try.
I just tried and used my ensoniq sampler and I had no problem. As soon as the right led blinks (top of the WX5) I have sound. Is that the same for you? On different equipment?


I know from the children I work with that starters will blow without the right technic.
However the VL70 will produce sound easy if you use the right preset. The WXoboe sound (PR 1 125) is our favorite sound on the VL70, Sax sounds like Lite alto ( PR2 007) are hard to play and only used with experienced players.
I'll try to explain it in my own words.
When you start a tone do it with articulation, so start your blow with a TH or DH like in the words THINK or DO


How I set Wind Gain & Wind Zero:
These 2 pot meters are halve opened. I adjust them both one by one till I get the WX5 playing without breath, then I give it a little kick back just till the WX5 stops playing on his own. I suggest to do this while connected to the sound canvas.

From the dip switches I only use the 4th one in the second row.

For the power supply you could use batteries and not a power adapter. Is there a difference?

Check the airflow: use the recorder mouth piece and put your finger on the the little air hole at the bottom of the flute. There should be no leakage of air any where.

Dave do you have MIDI on your computer? Mac or Windows? We could do a data check if you have MIDI on the computer.

I hope that your health is good and that your hospital visit is not a long one.

Success!
Ruud

daveallen said...

Hi Ruud,
Julie has since got a Yamaha MU80 sound module on ebay. I am sending the WX5 to her today, I go into hospital today and will be out of action for a while. I'm having a spinal fusion for sciatic and back pain, so I hope you can give Julie-Anne some advice for the new few weeks. Also, can you advise her how to be an author on this blog. I have sent invitations but she is not getting them. I will be out of hospital in a week, so we can continue talks then.
best wishes,
Dave